Amazing U.S.A. Place: Stone Mountain Georgia
Latinus news team , March 2017.
Stone Mountain is a quartz monzonite dome rock. At its summit, the elevation is 825 feet (251 m) above the surrounding area. Stone Mountain is well-known not only for its geology, a type of igneous intrusion, primarily composed of quartz monzonite, the dome of Stone Mountain was formed during the formation of the Blue Ridge Mountains around 300-350 million years ago, but also for the enormous rock relief on its north face, the largest bas-relief in the world.The carving depicts three Confederate figures during the Civil War: Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis(Wikipedia).
Stone Mountain was once owned by the Venable Brothers in 1887. Gutzon Borglum, a famous sculptor, drew up the first sketches of the memorial in 1915, for Mrs. Helen Plane, a charter member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). She was the first person to talk about putting a memorial carving on the mountain. However, was in June 23, 1923 that carving began on Stone Mountain. The State of Georgia purchased Stone Mountain and the surrounding land to create a 3,200 acre park in 1958. But, the Stone Mountain Carving was completed in March 3, 1972 (see stone mountain history).
Stone Mountain Park is a Family Vacation Destination in Atlanta, Georgia
“Stone Mountain Park features a wide variety of fun family activities and things to do in the Atlanta, Georgia area. Amazing adventures await as you discover interactive children’s attractions. Plus you’ll not want to miss dozens of fun annual events such as Spring FUN Break, Summer at the Rock, Yellow Daisy Festival, Native American Festival and Pow Wow, Stone Mountain Christmas and Snow Mountain. Stone Mountain activities are suitable for all ages:
- Play in the spray or stay high and dry on Geyser Towers®.
- Trek through the treetops on SkyHike®, the nation’s largest adventure course.
- Take a skyride to the top of Stone Mountain and get an up-close look at the Stone Mountain Carving.
- Ride a scenic train around the mountain.
- Spend the night in a tent or your RV at the largest Georgia campground.
- Let Stone Mountain plan and host your company picnic or family reunion at a covered outdoor pavilion.
- End your day at the world’s largest laser light show featuring a fantastic fireworks finale!” (take from stone mountain park activities).